Sunday, June 30, 2019

The Salvador Mundi (Saviour of the World)

Religious icons I have a few … they are from Poland, hence they would not be consider of high value in the art world … Icons from Greece or Russia are of high value…

 I have one icon from Greece and a brass “travel icon” from Russia dating from the 17th century … 

 Yet I like the Polish artist who painted my Icons, in the 20th century, the face of the Virgin Mary is stunningly beautiful on these icons … not so much with the ancient icons, they were not going for “beauty” but symbolism … 

Go figure … I also like Salvador Dali’s religious art …and the medieval tapestries they have at the Cloisters’ in NYC … I find Byzantine art is to be a bit fussy and overdone most of the time, but pretty to look at  … I like simpler art work … Leonardo Da Vinci I find interesting maybe not so much his art pieces,  but him as the man … fascinating to me … what a great mind he had … and his brilliance shone in many areas of thought …  


and because I like intrigue… you know the Da Vinci  Code and did da Vinci place a “code” into other paintings … ???

I do not think Da Vinci’s Last Supper is “coded”… but what do I know! I do think Da Vinci’s super charged brain was more than capable of doing such things to “screw with the minds of others” …

Da Vinci did one work that I think is “coded” and it is somehow very eerie to me … and that is the painting above  … it somehow radiates power and a strange fear of the Lord … I cannot explain it any better … I normally do not have a fear of the Lord … for love is greater than fear … but that painting on some level strikes fear in me … 

The painting “The Salvador Mundi”  (Saviour of the World)  It was sold at auction for $450.3 million on  November 15 2017 by Christie’s in New York to Prince Badr bin Abdullah,  setting a new record for most expensive painting sold  at public auction. Prince Badr allegedly made the purchase on behalf of Abu Dhabi's Department of Culture of Culture and Tourism …

The painting was supposed to be on public display in 2018 and it was not, supposedly being held on the yacht of the Prince …???

What is up with this painting????  

Why did someone pay such a huge amount of money for it???

 And why did they say it would be on public display in a cultural center of a Muslim country, Abu Dhabi is a Muslim city in a Muslim country. 

The Constitution of the United Arab Emirates does provide for freedom of religion in accordance with established customs, and the government generally respects this right in practice; however, there are restrictions (e.g. attempts to spread Christianity among Muslims not permitted). The federal Constitution declares that Islam is the official religion of the country; the Government does not recognize or permit conversion from Islam to another religion … Wouldn’t this painting be a visual to spreading Christianity??? There is something more going on with that painting … it is extremely “mystical” …
 
If Da Vinci ever coded a painting, I believe it is this one …